Austrian hash is similar to breakfast hash or bubble and squeak with fried eggs. Bacon, onions and potatoes roasted in a pan. I love to eat this dish in an alpine cabin after skiing, it brings your energy back.
- Prepare the ingredients. Wash the potatoes and parsley. Finely chop the parsley. Peel and finely dice the onion and bacon.
- Cook the potatoes Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to the boil over medium-high head and then reduce heat. Cook until the potatoes are soft through (ca. 20 minutes).
- Brown the bacon and onion While the potatoes are cooking, heat a large pan to medium-high. Brown the bacon in the pan until lightly browned. Add the onion to the browned bacon and fry until the onion is browned.
- Make the hash Peel and slice the potatoes, when cooked. Heat the pan with the bacon and onion mixture to medium high and add the sliced potatoes. If the pan seems dry, add butter. Stir occasionally until the potatoes are light brown. Season with salt, pepper and parsley to taste.
- Fry the eggs In a pan, heat 2 teaspoons of oil on medium-high. Crack the eggs into the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your preferred consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the finish hash topped with the fried eggs.
If you are vegetarian, instead of bacon use vegetables like peppers, broccoli, zucchini or mushrooms.