Bread and spreads play an important role in Austrian cuisine. Therefore I am always looking for new inspiration when making bread. Mediterranean tortilla chips go great with spreads but you can eat them as a snack as well. The recipe is simple but you’ll definitely impress your guests.
- Prepare the oven and the ingredients Place an oven rack in the center of the oven, then preheat to 360˚F (170˚C). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Whisk oil and one pinch of salt together.
- Make the dough In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, mix together flour, water, salt, dried rosemary and cayenne pepper . Knead in mixer on medium speed for 10 minutes, until dough is smooth. If you don't have a stand mixer, use your hands for kneading.
- Roll the dough Lightly flour the surface and the rolling pin. Roll the dough as thin as possible. Instead of a rolling pin you can use a pasta maker (if you have one). The dough shouldn't be thicker than a lasagne sheet.
- Cut the dough Cut the dough in any desired form with a knife or pastry wheel. Place the chips on the sheet pan.
- Brush and bake the chips Brush the chips with the oil-salt mixture. Bake the chips for 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
For spicy chips use chile oil instead of olive oil. If you don't like rosemary use other herbs like thyme or oregano.